Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Azungu



Every day I feel like I learn something new about the Malawian culture. One of the things I continue to learn is more about the language they speak here … Chichewa. Chichewa is the official language of Malawi, however there are other ethnic languages that small percentages of the population speak throughout the country.  


Saying that my Chichewa is limited is an understatement. I can say a few basic phrases, and respond to a basic greeting but that is about it. I am looking forward to growing my vocabulary throughout the year. One word that is quickly learned by anyone that looks like me here in Malawi is azungu. Azungu means “white person” and I constantly hear it being chanted by children as they run after our car, as they smile and wave at us, or as they burst into tears because they are not used to seeing someone that looks so different than they do! I have embraced my azungu status here, and hearing this now familiar word continues to bring a smile to my face. 


Since my Chichewa leaves a lot to be desired, I have been relying heavily on the English that the Malawians speak to me. Nine times out of 10 their English is far better than my Chichewa. Only a few times have I met someone that I can tell does not speak any English at all. I find this very impressive, since as an American I only speak English (and if you ask my family, they say sometimes I don’t even speak that well). The language barrier can sometimes be quite a struggle. Sometimes, even when we are being spoken to in English miscommunications happen. 


Yesterday two women from the church stopped by our house to say hello and asked us if we wanted to go watch what we though they called a “student talent show”. Well, turns out they did not say talent show, but instead wanted to show us them teaching students to sew … oops. I’m sure they have just as hard a time understanding our strange Pittsburgh accents sometimes; it’s all just part of the learning curve.

We have been told many times since we arrived here how important learning English is for the people of Malawi. Learning to read, write and speak English gives Malawians a chance to communicate outside the borders of Malawi, to a larger world. My Chichewa lessons with the neighborhood children will continue throughout the year and hopefully as they teach me, I can teach them and we can grow together. Luckily smiling is the same in every language 😊.


1 comment: