Tuesday, October 17, 2017

New Normal



I have shared in previous blogs about the many differences and challenges that I have/am facing here in Malawi. Now that I have settled in, these differences don’t seem so strange anymore. They have become my new normal. I have shared my new ways of cooking and driving, but today I would like to show you what some of the normal activities I do at home look like here in Malawi. This is my new normal.

My new hair salon: It has now been about two months since I left the United States, which means it has been two months since a professional has cut my hair. I say professional because I do not consider my current hairstylist a professional (sorry Lauren). We learned quickly that no one in our new home town of Mulanje would know how to cut “Azungu hair”.  We may be able to find someone to cut our hair in Blantyre, but honestly we are not there very often, and when we are it’s usually just to go to the grocery store or other shops then right back home. So instead, I have entrusted my haircuts to my housemate. I must say, she may not be a professional but the view during my hair cuts is much better than back in the states, and she’s doing a pretty good job so far. 


My new shower routine: Our house does not have a hot water tank. We have a device on our shower head that is supposed to heat up water as water runs through it; however it is currently not functioning properly. We have had an electrician come and look at it twice and we are still hopeful that it will be fixed, but in the meantime we are using another method. Every morning when the young woman that works with us comes to our house she starts her day by heating up a large pot of water. She then transfers this pot of hot water to a container that I am able to take into the shower with me and mix with cold water in a large tub. From there I am able to pour the now warm water over me in order to bathe. Although this is not the most ideal way of showering, I am none the less so grateful for the ability to shower daily and have access to clean water. Plus, not to brag, but I have pretty much mastered the bucket shower at this point. 


My new sleep schedule:  Malawi has 12 hours of day light, and 12 hours of darkness daily. The sun rises at 5:30 a.m. and sets at 5:30 p.m. It is like this all year round. Because of this, I have changed my sleeping schedule. Malawians wake very early to start their days before it gets too hot, so I too have been waking early. After waking this early, and going through the days in the African heat, I find myself in bed way before I would be in the US. Between you and me, there have been days I have been in bed before 7 p.m. If for some reason I am still asleep past 7 a.m. on any given day, our friendly neighborhood rooster makes sure to linger outside my window to ensure I know I have slept in.


My new skin care routine: At home, each morning I would spray my body with some delicious smelling fragrance, and put lotion on to keep my skin moisturized. Although I still put lotion on here, I mostly stick with sunscreen. The sun is blistering hot and even being out in the sun for a few minutes can leave my skin reddened. I also have also traded in my body sprays for 100% DEET bug spray in hopes of avoiding mosquito bites. 


My new gym: I will not pretend to be any kind of gym rat, but I did enjoy going to my hip hop Zumba class once a week with Heather and some of our friends to bounce around and get a good workout in. Unfortunately I have yet to find a hip hop Zumba class here in Mulanje (even if I did, Africans have amazing rhythm and I would stick out like a sore thumb) so instead I have taken to home workouts with my trusty workout buddy Remus, who always has my back (literally). My new normal of home workouts and long walks through the tea plantations surrounding my new home have made missing my weekly hip hop class easier. 

 
My new perspective: With each new difference I am faced with, I am reminded with just how blessed we as Americans are, and how unfortunately, we are often blind to these blessings. Living here and facing new challenges daily has been so eye opening, but such a blessing. I said I did not know how God was going to change me this year, but I can say for certain, God is using this year to change my whole perspective. I challenge you all to take a step back, and admire and give thanks for the many blessings in your life, especially the normal everyday ones you may be over looking.


2 comments:

  1. Wow that view, I am speechless! I am humbled and grateful for your reminders of my daily wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that puppy workout would be hard with Duke!

    ReplyDelete