Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Letters From Home



As I write this, I am 9,000 miles from home. When I think about the distance sometimes it can make me pretty homesick. Some days here are very challenging and make me miss the comforts that America has to offer. Many days I find myself missing my friends and family who are across the ocean. 

While I was packing to come here, Heather, my big sister, informed me that I needed to save a few pounds and space in my suitcase for something she was working on. As we approached my departure date, I began nagging her to give me whatever it was she had for me so that I could put the finishing touches on my suitcase. What she finally handed me was more than I could have ever imagined. She had contacted many friends and family members asking them to write me letters. What she handed me was 6 pounds of letters and cards.


I was so overwhelmed by the amount of love that had gone into making all of those letters and cards, but at that point I didn’t have the slightest idea how much those cards would help me. Some of the cards were blank, which meant I could open them any time I wanted. Some were marked for specific days (my birthday, Halloween, the first rainy day, the first day of school, etc.). Others were labeled to be opened when I was having a bad day, or was missing home, or was feeling overwhelmed. 


These cards and letters became an instant cure to any sadness or homesickness. They have been an inspiration for me and have reminded me why I felt so called to come here. They have made me smile when I am having a bad day. They are also a constant reminder of all the love and support I receive daily from so many people back home.


It is not only the letters that I carried over with me, but I also continued to be so encouraged by all the emails, Facebook messages, and messages left on my blog. I want you to know that I take the time to read each and every comment and they always put a smile on my face and lift me up. I am thankful to be sharing this journey with each and every one of you. 

I have had many people ask me if I can receive mail here. The short answer is, yes. The longer answer is although yes, mail will eventually find its way to me, mail here takes the phrase “snail mail” to a whole new level. It takes about a month for a letter to reach me here in Malawi. That being said please don’t let that stop you from sending mail my direction. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement throughout this journey; it is not the easiest thing I have ever done, but with the support of all of you, and through God, all things are possible. Please keep sending messages and prayers to the Warm Heart of Africa. 

Address:
Brooke Merry
c/o SAMSS PO Box 396
Mulanje, Malawi
Central Africa

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing to me that I opened facebook to see this post JUST as I was thinking about you! We are under a boil water advisory here. The news is filled with near hysteria and people complaining. I have been thinking that I am grateful that we have water to boil and grateful to the water company for the precaution and information. I was thinking about you and how you are changing and influencing lives from Malawi. Keep up the good work and keep us grounded here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete