Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Bless the Rains Down in Africa



I hope and pray that you all had a very Merry Christmas! As we look forward to the coming New Year, it is common for us to set New Year’s Resolutions. These resolutions are often hopes and dreams for all the future year could offer. This year as I was thinking about what resolution I could make, I found myself instead staring at the rain that was falling heavily outside my window. This gave me the perfect idea for a New Year’s Resolution that I would like to challenge all of you to make with me. 

Since it is late December we have officially entered rainy season. Unlike my usual Pittsburgh seasons, there is no summer, winter, fall and spring in Malawi. There is rainy season and dry season. During the rainy season we just entered into, everyday it will rain for a while. It does not just rain a little bit; it pours a massive amount of water in a pretty short amount of time. There are huge gutters along the sides of most roads and all buildings that quickly fill with water. While it is raining people take shelter wherever they can to avoid the downpours. Although this rain can seem like an inconvenience, making it harder to dry clothes outside on a clothes line, or getting my car stuck on a dirt road that has turned into mud, this rain is truly a blessing. 



As soon as the rains start consistently occurring, everyone in Malawi begins to plant Maize (corn). It is amazing to see all of the fields that have been reddish brown with the rich Malawian soil all suddenly turn green with the prospects of new plant growth. The Maize that is grown during the rainy season will later be dried out, ground down, and cooked into the staple food here in Malawi, Nsima. Most Malawians grow enough maize during the rainy season to harvest enough to feed their family until the following year’s crop. The rains also raise the rivers and increase the amount of hydroelectric power that is produced for the country. 


This works very well for Malawians, as long as the rains do not end early. In years past, the rains have stopped before the crops were ready for harvesting, resulting in huge famines all over the country. Without the proper amount of rains, a short growing season can mean that many people will go hungry. When famine strikes in a country like Malawi, it is likely lives will be lost as a result.  

As I watch the rain outside my window I am very thankful. Thankful that this water is helping the crops to grow and flourish. Thankful that a good harvest will mean less people with food insecurity in the coming year. Thankful for this opportunity and all of the experiences that my year here in Malawi are teaching me.


So as I look into the New Year, I am making a New Year’s Resolution to use the rain as a reminder. On rainy days where it is dark and gloomy, I want to remember what a blessing the rains are here and give thanks for the blessings in my life. It is easy to see the rain as a burden, but my goal is to use it as a beautiful reminder during the next year. I hope that you will join with me in spending the next year letting the rain remind us how blessed we are and how much we have to be thankful for even on the rainiest days.


2 comments:

  1. Your post has reminded me to see rain wherever I am as a reminder to count my blessings. God bless you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what changes the rain brings.

    ReplyDelete