Monday, February 6, 2017

And so the adventure begins...


In 2005, as the wheels of the plane left the tarmac of Chileka Airport in Blantrye, I knew in my heart that it wasn’t goodbye, it was simply tionana (see you later). Now I am excited to announce that it’s time to say tionana again. This time I will be looking out the plane window, not onto the mountains surrounding Blantyre, Malawi, but the hills and buildings of Pittsburgh. It is with great excitement that I write to tell you that this August I will be heading back to Malawi, the “Warm Heart of Africa”.

Since the day my family left Malawi in 2005, I have felt called to return (If you want to read about some of our adventures here is a link to the journal we kept while we were there: http://www.spchurch.org/merry/). I worked through both high school and college with my eyes set on returning to the country and people I love so much. Now that I have graduated and started my career in medicine, I finally believe that it is my time to return. Although I will not be using my medical degree while in Malawi, I plan to volunteer at local hospitals near where I will be working. You’re probably wondering what I will be doing if I won’t be working in medicine. Great question!

I am blessed to have an opportunity to teach science courses at the St. Andrews Mission Secondary School (SAMSS). St. Andrews Church has been in partnership with Southminster Presbyterian Church for many years, and through that partnership a beautiful school complete with a science lab, dormitories, dining hall, computer lab, and teacher housing has been built. At the present time SAMSS has 292 students, 112 of those student live on campus. SAMSS has become
one of the finest secondary schools in Malawi, with exam pass rates as high as 94%! The school is taught entirely in English, so luckily for the students they will not have to endure my pitiful Chichewa.

The opportunity to work with, and teach these students, has been a dream and goal of mine for many years and I feel so privileged to be given the opportunity to go. The chance to once again live in Malawi for a year, I know will be life changing. Although it will just be me going this time, without my family, I can’t do this mission alone, I need your help.

First, I would like you to pray for me as I prepare for my year away, while I am traveling, and throughout the year as I settle into my daily life in Malawi. Second, as you may have guessed, a life-changing trip like this is rather expensive. I will be resigning from my position in Pittsburgh in order to go. Therefore, I am asking for your financial support to help me undertake this mission. I need to raise approximately $15,000 for the year. And while it is my smiling face the students will see in their classroom every day, YOUR support is crucial to their growth and success. I truly believe that some give by going, and some go by giving. Without your support, my mission will not be possible. If you feel so led, you may make a tax-deductible check payable to Southminster Presbyterian Church with my name written in the memo. You may also make an online donation at http://www.spchurch.org/pages/?SPCOnlineDonations/. Click on the “Donate Now” button and enter “Brooke Merry” in the purpose field.

This opportunity would not be possible without your prayers, love and support, and I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will continue to keep you updated as I begin to prepare and throughout my year in the Warm Heart of Africa.

Brooke
















No comments:

Post a Comment