Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Get Those Wings Ready

Brooke has asked me to write a post for her blog. I was honored that she asked.

Let me begin by saying how proud I am that Brooke has been felt led by God in this direction. When she shared with me that she was thinking about teaching for a year in Malawi, one of the statements she made was “now is the time; if I don’t do it now my life will become too busy” … to which I said AMEN.

When the Merry family lived in Malawi in 2004/2005, of the four of us, I believe Brooke was the one who adapted best. Maybe it was because she was the youngest, maybe it was because she didn’t mind getting in the dirt and playing with kids, but Malawi was a life-changing experience for her. About halfway through our year in Malawi, Brooke came to Beth and me and said that she would not mind doing all four years of High School in Malawi. It was then that I knew that Malawi had gotten into her blood.

As a father I am so pleased that Brooke has responded to this call to teach at St. Andrews Mission Secondary School. I believe in the heart of my heart that this is what God is calling her to do. But I would be lying if I didn’t tell you that a part of me is sad; I am going to miss Brooke. I will miss her smile, her crazy sense of humor, the help that she gives me with projects around the house, her wonderful hugs when we depart. But I have always encouraged the girls to spread their wings and soar!

Brooke Abigail Merry, get those wings ready for you are about to soar on the opportunity of a lifetime. And when you are done, don’t worry, I will be here ready with a BIG hug!!!

- Dad (Dan Merry)

No comments:

Post a Comment