Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Music to My Ears



One of my favorite things about living right next to St. Andrews church and school is being able to hear different choirs  practicing while I am in our kitchen cooking, or out for a walk with Remus. Music is such a large part of life here in Malawi and it is one of the things I miss the most when I’m back in the States. It seems like just about everyone here sings: young, old, male, female and everyone in between. 

Groups form and will spend a few hours a week practicing not only the notes and words, but also movements that go along with all the songs. Choirs will often wear matching outfits while they perform, which can range from matching traditional fabrics tied around them, or full matching outfits made by a local tailor. Choirs from CCAP churches all over Malawi travel to minister to fellow Christians through song. 

One of my favorite things about the music here is everyone seems to know the words to all the songs. In chapel on weekday mornings a group will be in the front singing beautifully, when all of the sudden I realize that group is being supported by the voices of the entire student body as well. Even if the music isn’t perfect, and harmony is slightly off, the listeners are so supportive and encouraging of those sharing their talents to praise the Lord. The songs here unite the people in such a joyous and beautiful way.

“Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:19). This is the perfect piece of scripture to describe just what the music here represents. It is amazing to see and hear the people of Malawi singing for the joy of the Lord. I can’t accurately describe the beautiful music that is everywhere here. So please take about three minutes out of your day to sit back and listen to the sounds of Malawi. Let it be music to your ears and food for your soul.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I look forward to reading your blogs Brooke. You have brought us all along with you on your journey in Malawi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this! The first time I experienced people praising God through music in Malawi it brought tears to my eyes. Witnessing worship in other languages is so moving and affirming to me, because even though I don't know the meaning of the words they are using, I can and do still experience th movement of the spirit. This video gave me goosebumps, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete