Sunday, March 25, 2018

A Very Hard Day


I knew from the very start of this adventure that there would be highs and lows. I knew there would be good days and not so good days. I knew there were going to be days here that I smile so much that the muscles in my face would ache, and there would be nights when my pillow would be covered with tear stains. I knew I would meet dozens of amazing new people, and I knew that I left scores of amazing people behind. I knew what coming here for a year meant, and I knew what leaving for a year would mean. 


Early Saturday morning I received word from my family that my Grandmother (Marge Brown, my mom’s mother) has passed away. This news did not come as a shock to our family; her health had been declining for some time now. Before I left in August my parents and I traveled to Nashville, TN so that I could see my grandma for what I knew could be the last time. Although not unexpected, this loss is challenging me here in Malawi. The distance from my family during this time makes this time of grief more difficult. Today has been a very hard day, even though I knew I might have to face it from Malawi. 


Although it is very difficult to be away from my family and loved ones, I can’t help but think about the past and smile a little. In 2005, during the year we spent here as a family, my Grandma and Grandpa came to visit. Their visit to Malawi provided me with memories that I will hold onto forever. Remembering playing charades as a whole family in a cottage on top of Zomba Plateau will always make me smile. Zomba Plateau was also where I stood with my Mom when we received word that my Grandfather had passed away in 2012. Malawi will always hold a special place in my heart because of these memories I shared here with my grandparents. So, if I can’t be with my family during this time, it seems like Malawi is right where I am supposed to be.  


I am so blessed to have had a Grandma that showed me nothing but unconditional love and support. She challenged me in my faith and set a great example to all those around her of what it means to be a faithful follower. She instilled in her children and then her grandchildren a passion and love for Mission Work which all of us have taken to heart. Each one has participated in Mission Work and will continue to do so.. Without her influence in my life, I would not be who or where I am today. In all the sadness I find joy in knowing we will meet again someday, so today through the tears and sadness I say from Malawi:

Tionana Agogo (see you later Grandma), I love you.



6 comments:

  1. Brooke, I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to grieve from a distance and difficult to be to support your family from so far. I imagine that your grandmother was proud of you for making this commitment. I think that she probably enjoyed your posts as much as we all do. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, I am so sorry for your loss. You have written a lovely tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Brooke...what a loving and lovely tribute for Granma you offered. And while I did not know her well, I cannot imagine her being any more pleased with you carrying on her traditions of helping and serving and pouring into others. You do her proud, Brooke. We will give a few extra squeezy hugs on your behalf and please, consider yourself schmushed as well from us. You'll have to endure thinking about that part. Stay safe and happy - we are so very proud of your work. It shows a big heart and the world needs more like you! Blessings ~ Beth and Uncle Wal PS: Kyla set up my google account as 'othermother' eons ago. I do not know how to change that name for this post. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts with us! Sending love and prayers to you! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke, What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. I am so sorry for your loss. Many hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete