Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Emma


On the school’s campus where we live there are two houses right next to one another. One house is where the headmaster and his family live and the other house is the volunteer house where Lauren and I live. Since our houses are so close together, it is natural for us to get to know our neighbors. Living in the house next door is the headmaster, his wife (Grace), their four biological children (Catherine, Asimenye, Calvin, Myamiko), the woman who works for them (Melvis), the headmaster’s mother and the headmaster’s one year old niece, Emma. 



Soon after we arrived and were introduced to our new neighbors, Grace the headmaster’s wife who is a local elementary school teacher, explained to us that Emma, who was only 3 months old when we first arrived, came to live with them after her mother passed away after complications from child birth. We learned that although Emma’s father was still alive, he made it clear that he was unable to care for a newborn baby on his own (a child is considered an orphan after the death of one parent). Thankfully the Headmaster and Grace brought Emma into their family and will raise, care for and love her as their own.


 
Emma’s story is similar to too many children’s stories here in Malawi. Children that are left orphaned are often left with relatives to be looked after. Luckily for Emma, this meant living with a loving and caring family who care for her as best they can. Unfortunately, I have learned this is not always the case. I recently was talking to the pastor’s wife, who told me she was doing a workshop with the women in the church to teach how to properly care for orphans. She explained that sometimes when an orphaned child is left with a family, they will use the child as more of a laborer and house worker as opposed to accepting them as part of the family. Churches, NGOs, outreach programs, and many others are all now working hard to place children into loving and caring homes where they will be raised by caring family members, in their home villages.


 
Today Emma is a giggly one year old who is on the brink of walking. She has a loving family surrounding her. She has a community of people who are always willing to play with her, carry her, and take care of her, myself included. Every time I see her smiley face I am reminded of the amazing village I am surrounded by and part of that is helping to raise this child. I see her and I am reminded of the selflessness of the Malawian people, but also I’m reminded of the trials that this country faces daily. I am encouraged by the strength and faith of the people I encounter daily, and I am so blessed to have such a happy and beautiful little friend like Emma to remind me.



1 comment: