Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Climbing Mt. Mulanje


If I were going to use an analogy to describe what my time in Malawi has been like, I would say it was like climbing Mt. Mulanje. It seems like a perfect comparison because it begins even before I climbed the mountain. I have spent the whole year admiring this beautiful mountain, thinking and planning to climb it but never really finding the perfect opportunity to go. Just like all the years I have spent dreaming of returning to Malawi, without knowing when the perfect time to do that would be. I had to trust that I would  hear God’s call to go.  Since I got here, the mountain has been calling, just like Malawi, so I had to go. 


Just as we spent time gathering supplies and packing for our trip here, we again gathered and packed for our time on the mountain. We prepared as best we could, taking everything we thought we could possibly need for 3 days of hiking. Before arriving in Malawi we wrote letters of support and gathered a strong support system we knew we would have throughout our time here. This time we gathered a team of two, a guide and a porter, who would be invaluable during our hike. With our supplies gathered and ready, and our team assembled, we were ready to go!



Our first day of hiking began in a village about 20 minutes away from our house and ended about 6 hours later with us finally on top of the mountain. The hike up the mountain was filled with many of the same thoughts and emotions I have experienced throughout the year. There were certainly highs and lows. There were moments when I wasn’t sure what I was thinking doing something like this. There were moments when I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else in the world. There were people I met along the way who showed me the strength and resiliency of the Malawian people. There were points I wanted to turn back and just go home. There were moments I laughed, and moments I wanted to cry. There were moments I thought I would never stop sweating ever again. There were moments I will remember forever. Most importantly there were many moments I looked around and thanked and praised God for this amazing opportunity.


Our second day on the mountain we hiked across the top, looking down on the town we have been looking up from for a year. We then spent about an hour and a half going up a very steep incline in order to reach the next cabin we would spend the night in which is located at the base of the highest peak. Our time at this cabin was very special. Unlike the cabin from the night before, this cabin had no one else staying in it. Lauren and I spent the night laughing and talking about our time in Malawi so far. We talked about all the things we are nervous for as we begin to think about readjusting to life back home. We also talked about our hopes and dreams for all of our students. Although it was chilly so high up and our legs were tired from 2 days of hiking, having that time to reflect around a fire was worth every step.


Our final day on the mountain began early when we watched the sunrise over the valley below. I think our hike down the mountain is a good comparison to what leaving Malawi and adjusting to life back home will be like for us. We knew that the 6 hour hike down the mountain would not be easy, just like we know that leaving here will not be easy either. We know that the experiences have changed who we are and that we are leaving both the mountain and Malawi as better versions of ourselves (sore, but still better). We also know, that however sad it is to be ending such a great experience, the lessons and memories we have gathered will stay with us long after we have reached the bottom (as will the blisters that have formed on our feet). Reaching the bottom was bitter-sweet. We were happy to be home, but sad to leave the mountain behind. 


 


Climbing Mt. Mulanje is something I will remember doing for a very long time (mostly because I will still be sore for a very long time). Every time I look at a picture from my hike on this beautiful mountain I will think of the highlights, the challenges, the steep climbs, the cold nights, the laughter, and the memories. Mt. Mulanje will forever hold a special place in my heart, and will always serve as a perfect reminder of my year here in Malawi. 


1 comment:

  1. What an impressive accomplishment and what an insightful post. I am once again moved by your photos and grateful spirit.

    ReplyDelete