Tuesday, July 3, 2018

What Will I Miss


It is now July, and I am officially in my last month here in Malawi. Tickets have been purchased and arrangements have been made for our departure from Malawi back home to the United States. I cannot believe how quickly this year has gone by. As I start to prepare to leave, I have been making a list of things that I am excited to get back home to, along with a list of things I am sad to be leaving here in Malawi. Here is a look at my thoughts as I begin to prepare my heart and mind for the transition.

Things I am looking forward to in the USA:
  • Being together with my whole family
  • Seeing and hanging out with my friends again
  • Sharing my experiences, stories and pictures with anyone who will listen
  • Meeting my friend Gabby’s new daughter Isabella, who’s birth I missed while here
  • Driving on tarmac roads without people, chickens, bikes, and goats all over it
  • Having power and water all the time
  • A hot shower
  • Being able to shop for any ingredient I need for a recipe
  • Sleeping without a mosquito net
  • Hamburgers

Things I will miss in Malawi:
  • My students
  • My Coworkers
  • My Malawian friends
  • Remus
  • Eating Nsima
  • Seeing a monkey out the window while I eat breakfast
  • Amazing Mangos
  • Fresh fruits and vegetables all year round
  • Mulanje Pineapple
  • Seeing the sun and moon rise over the mountain
  • When the power is off and it is pitch black and the stars come out
  • Hearing church choirs practicing nearby our house
  • Everyone smiling and waving as we drive past
  • Shopping at the markets
  • Watching tea pickers
  • Seeing people dance and sing during worship
  • Helping the students with their work after classes finish for the day
  • Rain storms in the afternoon
  • Going on safari
  • Pop in a glass bottle
  • Cheering with Lauren when the power or water comes back on (and hearing the distant cheering of all the students at the same time)
  • Hammocking while admiring the mountain and reading
  • Walking on the dusty dirt roads around the tea fields
  • Playing Frisbee with the students
  • Sunsets
  • Seeing the water coming off the mountain after a hard rain
  • Sharing pictures of our life in America with our students and friends
  • Playing with Emma on the porch and watching her grow
  • The Warm Heart of Africa


I could continue this list for pages and pages, but I will stop there for today. I fell in love with Malawi 12 years ago when I first visited and every time I come back my love continues to deepen. It is a comfort to know that although I will be heading home soon, Malawi will never leave me. My time in Malawi has changed my heart, my mind and my soul for good.




2 comments:

  1. AND, your words from Malawi have changed people far from there or at least I can say that they changed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Wishing God's richest blessings for you our friends in Malawi as we all continue on this wonderful journey of life.

    ReplyDelete