Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Stuck in the Mud



One of the challenges that the rainy season presents is the effect of the rain on the dirt roads that cover the country. There are a few main tarmac roads that go throughout the country but for the main part, it’s dirt roads that take you places. I have learned that part of living and driving here is getting stuck in the mud occasionally. I have officially gone through what I’m learning to be this Malawian rite of passage.
 
As rain was falling I said goodbye to the friends we had been visiting and hopped in my car to head home. I knew it would be a tricky drive until I got back to the paved road but I thought I could make it. I made it maybe 100 yards … Driving in the mud is very similar to driving in the snow, your instincts tell you to do one thing, but you really should be doing another. As I approached a giant puddle that covered the road I thought to myself, “I don’t know how deep that is, so I should try to drive around it?”  I later learned this was a mistake. The side of the road that I decided to drive on was a deep mix of water and dirt, aka, mud. As soon as I started to drive through this area my wheels started to spin due to lack of traction, digging an impressive hole my car then sunk into and I was stuck.



I had to laugh as I walked back to see my friends and tell them exactly how far I had made it before I got stuck. Once there, they all gathered and we formulated a plan to get my car unstuck. Near where I got stuck there was a village, and as soon as the local people heard the car wheels spinning, they came over to see what was happening. By the time I returned to where my car was sunk in the mud with my friends a large group of local villagers had assembled, ready to help.



As frustrating as it was to be stuck in the mud, it was also a really beautiful experience. I was surrounded by people that didn’t know me, didn’t expect anything of me, and didn’t need to get covered in mud to help me, but there they were, willing and ready. As they surrounded my car and literally lifted it out of the mud, I was in awe of the Warm Heart of Africa. In awe of how strong they were when working together. In awe of just how giving and selfless the people are here. 


Together, the group that had assembled got my car unstuck. I was so grateful to all those who helped, without them I’m not sure what I would have done. Getting stuck in the mud is part of everyday life when driving in the rainy season. After getting stuck in the mud I have so many things to be thankful for, like the group of good Samaritans that literally lifted me out of a sticky situation, my friends that gave me advice for driving in the mud, for the roads I take advantage of at home (even with all the potholes they beat the roads here), and for the opportunity to even have a car to get stuck in the mud. Sure, by the end of this experience I was covered from head to toe with mud, but being reminded of the how beautifully selfless and giving the people here are made my time stuck in the mud a really good experience and reminder for me! 



1 comment: