Tuesday, April 17, 2018

What Is In A Name?


As a teacher here, at the end of every term I am responsible for grading and recording the results of the tests that I administered to my students. At the end of Term 2 as I was looking at my grade book I couldn’t help but think as universal as this act is for teachers all over the world, the names in my grade book are some very different names than we are used to seeing in the States. 
 
Unlike in the United States where most people are known by their first names, here in Malawi people are known by their surnames (last names). When we first met the staff here at St. Andrews the head master had to ask the teachers what their first names were before he could introduce us because he is not used to calling them by their first names. Likewise, on the first day of class when I was asking the students to introduce themselves, many of them started by telling me their last names. Eventually everyone seemed to figure out that we are more accustomed to using first names and they have been so great at reminding us of theirs if we forget.


Some Malawians have names that you could find in many schools or workplaces in the United States such as: Steve, Vincent, Charles, Nancy, etc. However some names I have in my grade book I don’t think you would find many places in the US. In my Form 1 Biology class I have three students named Chisomo. Chisomo in Chichewa means grace. It is so fun to see these common names of Malawians that are so beautifully diverse from the names I’m used to seeing in the States.


It is my understanding after talking to several of my friends here that naming a child happens in a few different ways. Names can come from family members, emotions, situations, the Bible or the parents might just like a specific name. Whatever was going on in the lives of the family during the time of the birth of a child, can often times be portrayed in the name. This sometimes does not work out as well for the child, due to the fact they could end up with a name like Misery, but often they are joyous names. Angel, Praise, Blessings, and Happiness are all names of people I have met here in Malawi. Sometimes when a child is born prematurely or sick the parents will name it and if the baby beats the odds and recovers and survives they end up with a Chichewa name meaning “sick one” but at least they survived! I have been told by a few people their children have been named after loved ones that have passed away as a tribute to them, similar to customs in the states. 


No matter what the names of these people are, whether their name is Misery or Praise, they are all such a blessing to encounter and learn from. They may not always say my name correctly, I may not always remember their name off the top of my head, but their faces and their names will be carved into my mind and heart long after we say goodbye. I’m so thankful to have the opportunity to meet so many amazing people during my time here. Next time you sign your name, be reminded of the joyous names I mentioned and I hope they will bring a smile to your face as they do to mine.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding us about the importance of names. When I was teaching, the first homework assignment I gave each year was to tell my students to find out how their parents chose their names. They had many interesting stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete