Wednesday, August 2, 2017

It Takes a Village

They say it takes a village to raise a child. We have certainly found this to be true as we raise our rambunctious 7 year old son and twin 4 year old girls. Over the last seven years we have utilized the support of our family, church and friends to get us through.

Brooke has certainly become a part of our village as she started as a friend from church and moved on to being a part of our family. Our kids look up to her, learn from her, laugh with her and ask about her when she is not around. Since Brooke told us about her year in Malawi we have been having a lot of long conversations with our kids about Brooke’s passion and mission. 

Although part of our village is leaving us for a little while, we are thrilled for the village in Malawi that gets to inherit her for the next year. Even in her time gone, she will be continuing to teach our small village and all of the children in it about selflessness, giving your time to others, living in the moment, taking chances, and how small we are in such a big world. It certainly takes a village and we are so blessed that Brooke is a part of ours. 

We will truly miss her while she is gone, but we are so excited for how much she will teach and support those in Malawi. We are even more excited for how much she will teach us once she is back!!

- Jess and Jared Robinson



Hi! My name is Kelley. I went to college and became friends with Brooke's sister, Heather. Over the years, Brooke and I grew closer, and now I consider her one of my best friends.

I started writing this as we left on a trip to Italy. Your shirt says "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere," a quote from Beauty and the Beast. You, Brooke, are always up for an adventure. 

While I think about you leaving for a whole year, I can't help but think about all the crazy adventures (big and small) we have shared over the years. I'm going to miss having spa nights with you, watching the saddest episodes of Grey's Anatomy on Saturday nights together, building a bird house on a whim on a Friday night, reciting every line in The Parent Trap while Heather glares at us, egg battles in your kitchen with theme music playing in the background, choreographing ice skating routines, and practicing our Olympic events in your front yard.

I'm going to miss all of those things and countless others, but it is more important to focus on this amazing adventure of yours. What an incredible gift it is to feel this calling to give your service in Africa. When you first told me about this journey of yours, I'm not going to lie, I thought you were a little crazy! Now I see that this is what you were meant to do. It is clear with the passion and conviction in which you talk about this adventure. 

I know this is going to be a great adventure for you. I will have to sustain glares alone from Heather when watching The Parent Trap while you're in Africa for the year, but I am so incredibly proud of you and your strength! I hope this is your best adventure yet! Your space on your sofa will be waiting for you when you return home. 

-Lots of love, Kelley



No comments:

Post a Comment