Friday, August 25, 2017

When Africa is Home

Greetings from the Warm Heart of Africa! I'm happy to say that Lauren and I (and all of our luggage) have arrived safely in Malawi and we are beyond excited to be here.

We were warmly greeted at the airport by multiple members of the school and the church we will be living and teaching at. It was a comfort to be so warmly welcomed, after such a hard few weeks of goodbyes.

After close to 20 hours in the air and traveling about 9,000 miles over 2 days with little sleep, sleeping in a bed last night was such a blessing. Quickly after we arrived I was reminded that I am certainly back in Africa. The house we will be living in (which I will talk more about later) did not have electricity when we first arrived, and this morning we woke up to no running water due to water shortages. Electricity that comes and goes, no running water and bugs bigger than I have ever seen are certainly frustrating and make this transition hard. However, one look out my new bedroom window, or off our back porch, and I am quickly reminded why I love this place so much.

We spent much of today in Blantyre gathering supplies we will need to set up our house and our lives here. One of the most important things we got today was wifi! It is amazing to me that I can type this blog from Mulanje, Malawi and it can reach you., where ever you are reading this. Such a blessing to be able to stay connected and to be able to share this journey with all of you! 

I'm happy to be home again :)








2 comments:

  1. Please keep sharing those beautiful photos and teach us about your new home. I am guilty of only having a stereotype idea of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're probably not alone. She answered all of Matt's insane questions a few weeks ago!

      Delete